Friday, June 29, 2012

Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg


  Take a BowTake a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg

Summary from GoodReads:

Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business.

For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform.

The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.

TAB has gotten great reviews, so I was eager to read it for myself, to see if it was really as good as it sounded. It was, of course.

The story is about Sophie and Emme, two best friends at CPA (a performing arts high school in New York) and Emme and her band, the Teenage Kicks. Her bandmates are Jack, Ben, and Ethan and they all play guitar; Ethan's lead singer, and Emme also plays piano. She loves her bandmates, but is only at CPA because Sophie, her best friend, convinced her years ago to audition. Sophie who sings the songs Emme writes. Songs that Emme is good enough to sing, but has always been pushed back by Sophie. Until Emme finds her voice--and her courage--to sing and realize she is strong enough on her own.

Naturally, I loved it. Emme and the band are terrific characters and I loved the romance between Emme and Ethan! Although I will say I thought the whole Julliard thing was a little cliche...overall it was very sweet how their friendship transformed into love. They really are a bookish couple that is equal deserving of each other. I loved Ethan's struggle to tell Emme how he felt the whole way through. Also loved how ridiculous and funny the band was. Didn't get the whole Tyler thing, and didn't understand why Carter was in the novel at all, except that he was part of Sophie and Emme's lives. He wasn't, um, musical. And music defines this novel at its roots. The only thing I really wish was different was I was hoping that Sophie would change to a better person, but she doesn't.

The reason I read this book was I heard great things about it (and it didn't disapoint), I have crazy cover love for it, Elizabeth Eulberg is worth reading (Loved the Lonely Hearts Club) and I love music (obviously because I do Tuney Tuesdays). I wish I played an instrument, specifically the accordian. Because it's such a unique and quirky instrument. Have a TON of friends in BAND. Wish I was it in, but I'm not. Have always wanted to see Julliard just for the heck of it. Once sang in front of my entire 9th grade class, but have no memory of it. Must of had such an impact on my life. Love to sing, esp Taylor Swift. I am such a teenage girl, Love being me.

That's it! Love yall and have a great Friday, Rachel