Thursday, July 5, 2012

Damsel in Distress



I got this book for free via Net Galley. This is no way at all affected my review or my opinions, which are my own. Thank you.

Okay, so everybody knows how I loved Scarlet, right? The tale of how she begins to love Robin Hood and who she really is. It's set from the tale of Robin Hood and Lady Marian, his love. Well, when I requested this one from NG I was thinking okay, another Robin Hood related book. Not the case. It's the story of Katherine de Montrain, Kat, an heiress with a castle and Lord Damian Montjoy, a knight who rides with King Richard in the Crusades.

Kat is forced to wed for her own protection against an evil man who wants her. She, however, despises Montjoy, though he seduces her.It's one of those stories where ladyhastowed--doesntwanttolovehusband--fallsinlovewithhusband--hastobetrayhusbandtosavehislife. This book had the potential to be so much more, to be so much better. I expected so much more from it.

It is related to Robin Hood. Kat is the Lady Greensleeves and Damian is the Silver Sword, who saves both their lives one day and the life of Kat's father. It is this act, that propels Kat into the role of helping Robin. But she's ultimately a woman and an heiress and must play the role of women of her time.  I wish Drake/Graham had written more on this roles, on how they were a legend, rather than their romantic relationship. That's what I was looking for.

And Damsel in Distress did not live up. I'd like to mention how it was riddled with ellipses, exclamation marks, and modern day English when it's set in medieval times. The action scenes were so confusing that I had a hard time following them. The betrayal was set up poorly. And I think Damian should have told her he loved her long before he actually did. It would have solved so many problems between them. Also, there's no white horse in this novel! (I know it's very miniscule, but I'm seriously bugged by it)

Overall, I didn't like this book, because it's very cliche. However it was my first ebook on NG so I proud that I finished it. I'm proud that I got on NG even though I really don't like ebooks (no it's not that I don't like them, it's that I like print so much better). If ebooks are the new thing, that I'm jumping in. I do have plans to get either a kindle or a nook for my birthday:)

Leave any thoughts below in the comments section. Thanks for reading.