Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cornbread, more Pride and Prejudice, some words, and tv

First cooking lesson of the year with my mom: how to make cornbread. I remember when I was younger I tried to make cornbread, and muffins, by myself. They didn't turn out well, either time. It turned out okay this time, but I have come to the conclusion that perhaps I am not meant to be a cornbread-maker. Maybe I am just suppose to eat it.

As for P&P I'm on the part where Jane and Elizabeth are home from their visits to London and Rosings. The movie portrays Elizabeth, in my opinion, as too arrogant. I don't find that she is so much in the book. I think Bennett and Bingley would make a good names for a dogs.

 I like the Elizabeth in the book much better than the one in the movie. I have gotten past the part of Mr. Darcy's letter and have only to write that it is difficult to read and I understood it in the movie much better. I like reading about their love story. Mr. Darcy is a far better man than the Bennets believe him to be, which to me is distressing. I don't understand how Elizabeth is so oblivious to Mr. Darcy's love until he tells her. Also, the movie tends to set Mr. Bingley as uneducated. Which is not really accurate from the book. It also underestimates Caroline Bingley.

Suffice to say that I believe that as much as I like the movie, and it is my favorite movie, the book P&P is better.

And I'm about halfway done with it. I'm taking it slow because I want to enjoy it.

The trouble with reading P&P is that there a great deal of long words that I don't know. One of them that has come up frequently is amiable. In the archaic tense it means pleasing and admirable. Jane Austen much have been very wordy and intelligent. I have a fear of long words, which is Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. So thus I have a fear of this word. Long words are hard to say, so I find it reasonable to fear them. 

How we got from cornbread to long words escapes me.

My mother and I were watching a new movie called Change of Plans, with Brooke White in it, last night. It was a good show. It makes me wish I had a little sister. We also watched Bones that night. Booth (Bones' partner) gives up his credit on the Eureka drug bust because his brother gets caught for drunk driving and will lose his job in the military if he gets a DUI. And his brother doesn't even care. The loss of the credit given to Booth is noticed by his coworkers. It is natural for older siblings to watch out for the younger ones, but by doing so they deprive their younger siblings of taking responsibility for their own actions. I found this theme of the show interesting. Should friends and family intervene for each other? Is this not also a deprivation of responsibility? Are we all responsible for only our own interests? Or is family taken into account as well?

Enough to say that I have spent way to much time watching tv and now proceed to read some more P&P and try another cooking lesson another day.