Monday, December 24, 2012

2012 End of the Year Book Survey

best books read in 2012
Hosted by Jamie @ the perpetual page turner
See here for questions and to link up: http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/2012/12/end-of-year-book-survey-2012.html


Best In Books 2012

1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
I must highly recommend Nicholas Sparks books: Nights in Rodanthe, A Walk to Remember, The Choice (It's Nicholas Sparks so pretty much every book I've read this year by him) 
I would also recommend the Lauren Holbrooke trilogy. It's about a modern day matchmaker, chocolate and coffee addict, oh and a Jane Austen Addict. 
I'm never going to be able to finish this question, because I love books too much, so I guess I will just leave it here. There will be a upcoming post on all the books I've read and loved this year coming soon. 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Anna and the French kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I read Lola and the Boy Next Door first which I absolutely loved, but Anna's story just fell flat for me. 
The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter. I had read so many good reviews of this one, but I didn't like it at all. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 
A lot of books surprised me this year. I read a lot that I didn't plan on reading, pulled off the shelf randomly at the library. Talk about a vague answer:) 

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
I thought I answered this already, but if I had to pick only ONE book it would be Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I am just crazy about Delirium and Pandemonium and cannot wait for Requiem to come out!!! 

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
I discovered a lot of good dystopian/fantasy series: Eve, Shatter Me, Matched, Starcrossed, Graceling. I've only read the first book in the series for most of these, with the exception of Matched; I have read and do own Crossed as well. Eagerly awaiting for the moment I get my hands on a copy of Reached. I would buy it on amazon if I weren't a broke college student. 

 6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Fannie Flagg. My mom gave me Can't Wait to get to Heaven for my birthday and I loved it. So funny. 
Susane Colastanti. I thought Waiting for You was so beautiful and I look forward to reading more of hers in 2013!!! 
Elizabeth C. Bunce. I absolutely loved A Curse as Dark as Gold and am eager to read her two books about a thief. Book trailer for the first book is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9L4uH3f0b8
Justina Chen Headly. She wrote the completely beautiful book about a beautiful girl's journey: North of Beautiful. 
Erynn Magnum for the Lauren Holbrooke series. 
Lauren Oliver for Delirium, of course. 

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Foreman. Absolutely stunning and beautiful works. Deals with loss, love, and forgiveness. 

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. 

 9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year
Pride and Prejudice. I re-read it every year. I love it. I also re-read Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta every year too. She and Miss Austen are my favorites. 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)

A Million Suns by Beth Revis. The covers for these books are so stunning and beautiful.


11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
I-I don't know! There are so many memorable characters. I would have to go with Francesca from Saving Francesca, Terra from North of Beautiful, Mia from If I Stay, Anna from Moonglass, Taylor from Jellicoe Road. 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Even though I didn't like the plot or the characters, I loved the writing of One Day by David Nicholls. 

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It's an absolutely tragic and sad book about the persistent determination of a man and his love for his cancer striken wife and their daughter. 

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 
I can't believe I waited so long to read A Million Suns and I'm so glad I finally did! 

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 
There are way too many, but I will share my favorite Bible verse of the year. 
Ephesians 1:4-6 
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In lovehe[a] predestined us for adoption to sonship[b] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasureand will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. (NIV) 

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 
I don't keep track of how long the books that I read are, so I really don't know. 

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The girl of fire and thorns, A million suns, Delirium/Pandemonium, Eve, The maze runner, Finnikin of the Rock...

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
My favorite friendship is Emmy and the guys in Take a Bow, another book I really loved. My favorite romantic relationship is Nash and Marissa in Waiting for you. 

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
I had read Jellicoe Road before this year (remember I re-read it every year) and this year I got to read Saving Francesca, which was really excellent as well. 

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else
Well I read the Lauren Holbrooke trilogy based on a recommendation from my Best College Friend. It also helped that she owned all the books and just let me borrow them:) 

Well that's the end of the survey. It was actually tremendously helpful because it made me realize that I did actually read If I stay and where she went this year. I forgot because I didn't review them or list them on GR. 

I wish yall Happy Reading in 2013!