Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
Summary from Good Reads:

Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.


My review:
I liked it. I liked how strong Alex was, despite the terrible thing that had been done to her. I like how she was encouraged to stand up for herself and how she took her sister's challenge. I like how virginity is something valued. To give to someone you love and not to be taken away by choice. I like how insecure she was, and yet she became a stronger character throughout the novel. I liked her friend, TS, who was probably my favorite character, and the one most like me. Enthusiastic. I would definitely be on the board of mockingbirds if I went to Themis. I liked how Martin--or anyone else--chose not to give up on Alex. How her friends taught her courage. Helped her find it. I liked Alex's struggle to deal with what had happened to her, and how she sought justice for the crime. Overall, the strength of the Mockingbirds novel is it's depth of characters throught a tragic act, displaying courage and strength to overcome and claim victory and justice. To sum up.

I give Mockingbirds 3.5 out of 5 stars. And while I know there is a sequel, I don't know if I'm going to read it. It just doesn't sound as good. And because I'm tired, I'm going to bed. Have a good night, Rachel