Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Conquest by Vik Rubenfeld

Conquest is the story of a band. It's also about love. Reid Taylor plays bass and tells the story. When he meets Kristy, he knows she's "the one." Barry is the role model leader and main guitarist. When he meets Risa, they think they might be soul mates. Clay is the drummer, who lives with his high school sweetheart. They might not belong together, and can't take care of each other. Link is the singer, who never commits to one girl, and never wants to be married, settle down, or have kids. They all love the free life, and music consumes their lives. This book is sad. The ending is shocking and ungraceful. People who don't deserve it get hurt and bruised. Some die, and some are left behind. There is a lack of morals among the band members, who think they can own a woman for one night and get away with it. It's about discovering secrets and hidden motives, before it's too late. It's hard to see the real love in this book; I don't know if the characters ever figure it out. I don't know where the afterward takes them. My favorite part of this book is when Barry and Risa meet. It's on the cover. Barry brings a random girl who happens to be Risa up on stage and dances with her. And falls in love with her. She connects well with Leah and Reid, and is a bright, beautiful girl. She contrasts to Kristy, who is shy and doesn't know what she wants for her future. These women all their love men, and it's sad to see their hearts get broken. This was not my favorite book, but I didn't hate it. I feel very indifferent about it, actually. You could say I'm neutral about it, which is odd, because a book almost leaves me feeling something. I think it's perhaps because I don't know what to think of Reid's story. As I said before Conquest is only the story of a band. Note: I recieved this book from the author in exchange for a free review. This in no way affected my review.