Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Teaser Tuesday--September 13, 2011

Miz B over at Should Be Reading hosts this weekly meme, where us book lovers get a chance to spotlight our currently-reading and basically...do a little teasing. : ) The rules are simple:


  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page. 
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page. 
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other participants can add the book to their to-reads if they like your teaser.
The book I am currently reading is Sophomore Switch by Abigail McDonald. Sophomore Switch

My Teaser:
"Sorry," I say, deflating a little. "But I get it: wanting to be the one in charge of the scene."
He shrugs. "But it doesn't work that way, right? You can't write everyone's part for them." (from Emily's perspective)

Summary from GoodReads:
Reeling from the aftershocks of "The Hot-Tub Incident," American party girl Tasha jumps at the chance to spend a semester at tweedy Oxford University - banking on the fact that the tabloid stories about her won't have made their way across the Pond. But Tasha starts to question her judgment when she finds herself Uggs-deep into feminist theory and unpopular with the university's intellectual student body.
Meanwhile, studious control freak Emily, reeling from a romantic incident of her own, decides she'd like a change, too. Disappointing her snooty British family, who would rather see her at Harvard than UC Santa Barbara, Emily throws herself into film classes - not to mention bikinis and beer pong. Her English accent gets her plenty of attention, but not all of it is welcome - especially the frustrating confrontations with a male classmate.
Thrust into lives as opposite from their own as possible, Tasha and Emily's only hope may lie in each other. Will their combined intelligence be enough to get them through their sophomore year switch?
My Review:
I liked it. Both girls reminded me of me a little. Tasha gets to change and become who she wants to be and figure out relationships in Oxford. She gets to transform from the slut Tasha to the feminist Natasha. It's great to see how she changes and grows up. And Emily who has planned what she wants, gets her plans shaken up. In a sunny place away from her parent's expectations, Emily is free to relax and do and think about what she wants for her future. I guess I just like it because it's about girls who are unsure about their futures, just like me. I don't know who I would chose if I had to chose between the girls. I really like the Natasha in Oxford, though.I guess I just really liked how the girls changed. And the ending was perfect too. I would recommend this book for girls in college. I plan on doing a sophomore switch when I get there!

You may post your own Teaser Tuesday links below.