Friday, September 21, 2012

Awakening by Hillsong

Today, I am going to blog about another song I like that I discovered recently. It was sung at a church I recently visited, and I'm visiting a new one this Sunday again, because I haven't decided where I want to go yet. This song is called Awakening and it is by Hillsong (love them).



[Verse 1:]
In our hearts Lord
In this nation
Awakening

[Verse 2:]
Holy Spirit
We Desire
Awakening

[Chorus:]
For You and You alone
Awake my soul
Awake my soul and sing

For the world You love
Your will be done
Let Your will be done in me

[Verse 3:]
In Your presence
In Your power
Awakening

[Verse 4:]
For this moment
For this hour
[ From : http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/hillsong-united-lyrics/awakening-lyrics.html ]
Awakening

[Bridge:]
Like the rising sun that shines
From the darkness comes a light
I hear Your voice say
This is my awakening

Like the rising sun that shines
Awake my soul
Awake my soul to sing

From the darkness comes a light
Awake my soul
Awake my soul to sing

Only You can raise a life
Awake my soul
Awake my soul to sing


This song reminds me of Saul and how Jesus blinded him and them physically and spiritually awakened him to the world. Acts 9:1-19 (NIV) 

Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.
“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
7The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything.
In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!”
“Yes, Lord,” he answered.
The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsusnamed Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”
 “Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your holy people in Jerusalem. And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.”
But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”
Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”  Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, and after taking some food, he regained his strength.

Saul is a wonderful example of being saved by grace and how God is our light in this darkness, how we are not alone in this world. He was blind, but when God revealed His light to Saul, he awakened him, reconciled him. Saul recognizes that God is in control as Lord of everything. He goes on to get baptized, begins to follow God as a disciple, and becomes Paul.  

I used to be blind too, used to be in the darkness, but I was awakened to God's love and light too. Then I started following Him and that's going to be my whole life now. That's the only worthwhile way to live, is to follow Him. I've come far since my Redemption Moment (the moment I was saved), and I look forward to where I am going with God. It's such an adventure! 

This story (and song) reminds me that I am also becoming and that God has a wonderful purpose for me. I'm not sure what it is yet, but one day He'll let me know. I haven't figured out where my life is going, but it's okay, because it's out there for me.  Until then, my heart sings the words of the song, "For the world you love, your will be done; you're will be done in me." That is how I would like it to be, for God's will to be done in the world and in my life and in your life. What a beautiful thing that would be. 

I leave you with these words of encouragement. God loves you and me and He has the whole world in His hands. Be awakened to His love and grace. Believe and live faith and have a wonderful day. Love, Rachel