Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hex Hall & Shopaholic

Okay, so I'm so far behind. Busy with college applications. I have so many books I want to blog about. It's just so time consuming, because I waste a lot of time. Maybe it's that I have to much of it, when I think I need more. The books I'm reviewing today are
Hex Hall,
Confessions of a Shopaholic.


So first up, Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. It's about Sophie Mercer, a witch who gets set to Hecate (Hex), a place for witches, fairies, shape shifters, and werewolves. There's also a couple vampires, wandering ghosts, and rumors of demons. The other three dark witches don't really like Sophie. Jenna, Sophie's roommate is a vampire, blamed for the death of her previous roommate. There are a lot of mysteries at Hex Hall, and Sophie needs to solve them, before more girls--or herself--are hurt. Overall I liked HH and look forward to the sequel, Demonglass. Lots of suspense, mystery, and surprises in this one! (you now all have fair warning). The only problems I had was that Sophie seemed ignorant of her powers and just wanted to be normal, and some of the secondary characters (like Beth, Taylor, Anna, Sophie's mom) could have played bigger roles. I understand some of Sophie's desire, but I think being "not normal" is cool, makes the kids there special. Also, something about it just bugged me (possibly the vampire thing, but not really sure about it). I give it a 4/5 stars.

Next up is Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella. I was hoping for something along the lines of the movie, but no (apparently that's Shopaholic takes Manhattan, the next book). Anyways, Rebecca Bloomwood works for Successful Savings magazine and doesn't make that much money. Not enough to shop at the designer stores she loves. Becky tries to save her money and tries some other jobs to make money. When she feels bad, she just gets herself deeper into the whole of debt. More and more piled onto more and more. The ending is good and the relationships Rebecca has with Suze and Luke Brandon and her parents and her parent's friends. I didn't like how Rebecca never owned up to all her debt and kept making excuses and complaints. The middle of the book is definitely the weakest. I'm debating on whether or not I'll read the sequel. I also give this book 4/5 stars.