Monday, November 19, 2012

Red by Taylor Swift Song Review

Video 

Lyrics
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead end street
Faster than the windPassionate as sin, ended so suddenlyLoving him is like trying to change your mindOnce you’re already flying through the free fallLike the colors in autumnSo bright just before they lose it all
Losing him was blue like I’d never knownMissing him was dark grey all aloneForgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never metBut loving him was redLoving him was red
Touching him is like realizing all you ever wanted was right there in front of youMemorizing him was as easy as knowing all the words to your old favorite songFighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword and realizing there’s no right answerRegretting him was like wishing you never found out love could be that strong
Losing him was blue like I’d never knownMissing him was dark grey all aloneForgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never metBut loving him was redOh red burning red
Remembering him comes in flashbacks and echoes

Tell myself it’s time now, gotta let go
But moving on from him is impossibleWhen I still see it all in my head
Burning red!Darling it was red!
Oh, losing him was blue like I’d never knownMissing him was dark grey all aloneForgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never metCause loving him was red yeah yeah redWe're burning red
And that's why he's spinning round in my headComes back to me burning redYeah yeah
Cause love was like driving a new Maserati down a dead end street

http://www.directlyrics.com/taylor-swift-red-lyrics.html

Review
I decided to start the week off with a song review of Taylor Swift's Red. The name of the album is also Red and comes from this song. It's a song about her loving someone who didn't love her back. I think we can all identify with this and with the colors: blue, dark grey, and red. This is the color associated with love, but also with anger and the more distasteful feelings. Blue is associated with loneliness, the cold, and calmness. Blue is better than red (Blue is my favorite color:) 
Besides the chorus, some of my other favorite lines were 
"Loving him is like trying to change your mind
Once you’re already flying through the free fallLike the colors in autumn" 
and 
"Touching him is like realizing all you ever wanted was right there in front of you
Memorizing him was as easy as knowing all the words to your old favorite songFighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword and realizing there’s no right answerRegretting him was like wishing you never found out love could be that strong" 
I just love the struggle in TS voice as she can't decide whether or not she is going to love her or not, because she already loves him, but he doesn't love her back.Eventually she makes the decision that it's not worth it to her to love him.  
I also really just liked the background music for Red; it went really well with TS's voice. The song is catchy and fast, but not too fast. It has a good beat and is overall a good song. It's not my favorite on the album (those would be the last time, starlight, and come back be here) but it is really enjoyable and I can see why she named her album after it. I think it probably means a lot more to TS than I'm interpreting, and now that's I've looked at is closer it's actually kind of a sad song. 
That's all I've got for this review, but have a good one and hope you enjoy this song! Rachel