Sunday, June 12, 2011

Texas Rain

Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)


I took the ACT this Saturday; I'll be getting the results in a few weeks. So I can blog today, but I'll be busy this week, and for a while, so I don't know when my next post will be. Other than studying, I've just been reading (obviously) a lot, and watching some TV.

Anyways, I read Texas Rain, a western romance, by Jodi Thomas. It's the story of Rainey Adams, runaway schoolteacher from the east coast, who chose freedom over marriage, and ran away from her controlling, overbearing father. Travis McMurray, is half-Irish, half-Apache, and is a Texas Ranger, for whom the law is his heart. Until he meets Rainey at a country dance, where she steals a kiss from him...and then, his horse. The second time they meet, she steals another horse, and his heart, because Travis has been injured.

In the shadows and at the peak of Whispering Mountain, Travis dreams of Rainey, his fairy, and his future, which is uncertain in his hands. Rainey rides to Austin where she makes some friends, and starts a pie business. But Travis' heart lingers in her hands. Travis finds his calling in studying law, since it's the closest thing to a Ranger (a Ranger on the plains: a lawyer in the courthouse).

The novel shifts from Whispering Mountain ranch to Austin, where Rainey has escaped to. Travis finds her, taking along his sister, Sage (cool character), and Duck, a silent 3-year old who clings to Travis like a son. Will Rainey hold onto her freedom? Will Travis take her heart? Will they find safety? Will Travis choose being a lawyer over a Ranger?

 I, of course, know the answers, but you, my dear readers, do not (unless you've read the book), and I don't want to ruin it. I must say that I liked the allusion of Rainey as a fairy and I liked the characters, but it was exhausting reading about them kissing and being romantic, pulling away, chasing each other, so on and so on.

There was one part I loved: She smiled as she pressed her palm over the beating. "I feel the center of you. I feel your heart."
"No," he whispered as he kissed her ear. "You are my heart." And I loved the part after it, where he is writing I love you, in dust, until Rainey believes it, he says.