Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shiver Review

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)



A few weeks ago I read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (Steve-otter, Maggie is a nice name) It has a fantastic cover, which I totally love. The two main characters are Grace and Sam. They live in Mercy Falls, Minnesota (a fictional place based off the real town Ely, MN)

 Sam is a werewolf. In the winter, when its cold enough for him to change to a wolf, he does and he changes back in the spring. The longer a human has been a wolf, the more heat he needs to change back again and then to stay human, and he changes later than a newer wolf. So a new wolf changes in March or April and an older wolf (one who been changing longer) changes in August or September. Then, after about 15-20 years they stop changing and are just wolves.

Sam is a yellow-eyed wolf and Grace has been watching him from her tire swing and back porch for six years. From between the end of summer and the last closing days of fall, Sam and Grace meet, fall in love, and struggle. Sam must struggle to stay human and Grace has to fight to keep him.

Here's the quote on the back cover: (Sam) " And then I opened my eyes and it was just Grace and me-nothing anywhere but Grace and me-she pressing her lips together as though she were keeping my kiss inside her, and me holding this moment that was as fragile as a bird in my hands."

Shiver switches from Grace and Sam's perspectives. Despite their newfound love, trouble lurks in Mercy Falls. A new wolf, marked "dead" to the human world is out there, haunting humans; his name is Jack Culpeper. His sister Isabel is determined to find the truth about his death and Grace's photographer Olivia gets caught up with him trying to help and get the photos. Also Shelby, the white wolf, wants power in the pack, to be the alpha female and Grace now stands in her way. Determined to save Jack, Sam, and Olivia, Grace and Isabel team up to find a cure.

Personally, I loved Shiver. This was one of the best books I've read and I just loved the imagery and symbolism and I just kept coming back to some parts. Shiver: highly recommended.