Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dances with Wolves & In the Shadow of the Lamp

I have two books to tell you about today. I'm quite far behind on blogging, but I hope yall don't mind too much. Here's what I have for today.

First is Dances with Wolves by Michael Blake. John Dunbar is assigned to an abandoned frontier army fort, with a wolf and a horse and himself. Alone. And no one alive knows he is there. Kicking Bird and Wind in His Hair, Comanche Indians, try to steal his horse, but it escapes and returns to him. They become fascinated with him, the Man as White as Snow, and often visit him, smoking and drinking coffee. He tries to learn their language, as they all wait for the buffalo. Slowly, he becomes Indian, even falling in love. Essentially, it's the story of how he becomes an Indian. I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of The Red Badge of Courage, which I read last year. The characters were interesting, and I had no problem with this novel, except that two animals die. I am waiting for the movie to arrive so I can watch that.

Also, I read In the Shadow of the Lamp by Susanne Dunlap. Molly Fraser is a servant in London, who longs to make herself and her parents proud. She joins Florence Nightingale and the other nurses to Crimea to work at a hospital. There, she meets doctor Maclean, who falls in love with her. Fraser's childhood friend, Will, joins the army to be near her. As she struggles with her work, she also struggles in matters of her heart. She tries to help out her new friends, and cope with the challenges and conditions that they are in. The work is hard, but Molly learns how to be a true nurse, and how to help those she loves even if it means taking the personal costs. Florence Nightingale was an interesting character in this novel--and as a real life woman. I'll have to do some more research on her. (possible blog post?) Personally, I really liked this novel, and I would highly recommend it.

I don't have much else to say. I'll be trying to do lots of posts this week to get caught up, but don't get your hopes up. Have a great Wednesday!